Inspired? Invite me on a virtual cup of coffee so I’m fueled to create more episodes: paypal.me/KathrinKatHecht
Kat’s Podcast – Episode no. 29
This episode is PURE MOTIVATION!
If you’re in a lull or struggling to get your lovely butt off the couch: tune in.
On today’s show I’m talking to Melissa Urie: ultra endurance athlete, Ironman + Uberman woman and an embodiment of will power & mental strength.
I was frankly mind-blown when I heard her talking about her 33 km (21 mile) swim in the open Pacific ocean. Sounds insane? Yes. Impossible? No.
It’s a good one, this episode! And it was so much fun recording! Thank you, Mel! You rock.
Race distances so you get a feel for what we’re talking about:
– Sprint/Beginner’s triathlon: 750 m swim – 20 km bike – 5 km run
– Long-distance/Ironman: 3.8 km swim – 180 km bike – 42.2 km run
– Uberman = the world’s most challenging Ultra Triathlon: 33 km (21 mile) swim – 644 km (400 mile) bike – 217 km (135 mile) run. Swim in Catalina Channel then ride from LA to Furnace Creek and run Furnace Creek to Death Valley (top of Mt. Whitney).
We talk about:
- Mel’s own story & how she got to ultra racing
- The Uberman Race: Doing the impossible.
- 15 years of training: Why commitment & pursuing things long-term is key
- How to navigate sharks
- Mental strentgh & motivation
- “Your mind’s a muscle that needs to be trained.”
- Mental strategies she used to get through intense training + events like Uberman
- Daily motivation tips for listeners
- Problem solving & positive thinking
- “In a race it’s all about constantly problem solving, things will turn around eventually.”
- What all of us can learn from ultra-distance races
- “I feel like I belong”: overcoming imposter syndrome + stepping into confidence & ease.
- Comparison: Why Mel doesn’t compare anymore + what we can learn from her
- Mel’s personal milestones: 3 main lessons for life she got out of her ultra races
- Get in touch with Mel: blog | instagram | Athlete’s page on fb
- related podcast episodes:
- My email if you like to reach out
- My newsletter
- My Instagram if you wanna follow along
- music (Intro/Outro): Thanks to Analog By Nature. Credits: cdk – Sunday by Analog By Nature (c) copyright 2016 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) license.
Thanks so much for listening!
Did you like this show? What helped or inspired you most? Let us know by sending an email to hello @kathrinhecht.com or commenting on instagram. And if you’re listening on Apple/iTunes: I’m super thankful for a 5-star-rating and a review so we can inspire more people out there!